A mother is begging people to share her story after what happened to her 3-year-old at an indoor trampoline facility.
Kait Ellen is warning other parents after she says her son, Colton, broke his femur while jumping innocently in a square alongside her and her husband.
“As hard as it is to relive the past 12 days, we feel compelled to make other parents aware of the danger associated with indoor trampoline parks,” she wrote on her Facebook page.
“Come to find out, according to the America Academy of Pediatrics and the America Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons ‘children under the age of 6 should never use a trampoline.’ This is due to the fact that their fragile bones are not meant to withstand the repetitive pressure from jumping. We had no idea and were shocked to find this out from our pediatric orthopedic surgeon during Colton’s hospital stay.”
Now, Kait is imploring others to spread the word.
“We hope by sharing his story it will prevent a child and their family from experiencing the trauma and heartbreak associated with trampoline injuries in young children. Please help us by sharing this story!”
The American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines cautions parents: “Don’t buy a trampoline for your home!” In fact, it says, “They should only be used in supervised training programs for gymnastics, diving, or other competitive sports.”
In addition, The American Academy of Pediatric Surgeons does, in fact, warn that no child under 6 should ever be allowed on a trampoline.
It’s a helpful warning for parents. And worth sharing.